French Twist Ponytail
Ponytails are cute–but sometimes we need a little extra oomph. Enter the French Twist Ponytail, created by Orlando Pita, Hairstylist for TRESemmé, for the Hervé Léger runway show. “We wanted there to be a toughness to the hair but in a way that still felt quite natural and easy for a girl to wear away from the runway. We’ve played with a simple update on the classic low pony that leaves her with a sexy twist down to the nape of her neck. This is the look for when you need your exit from the party to make a bold statement!” says Pita. Here are the styling steps…
- Step 1: Work TRESemmé Runway Collection Get Sleek Blow Dry Balm from root to tip and dry hair straight with a soft bristle brush.
- Step 2: Apply TRESemmé Extra Firm Control Gel from the roots to mid lengths and using a comb, create a deep side part to the crown of your head and then a straight part down the back of the hair.
- Step 3: Starting an inch away from the hairline, comb one side of the hair back and then fold into a French twist down the back of the head and secure with bobby pins underneath. Repeat on the second side.
- Step 4: Use hair pins to join both French twists together down the back on your head.
- Step 5: Pull the lengths of your hair back into a low pony and finish the look with a firm-hold hairspray. Tame flyaways with a spritz of hairspray on a natural bristle toothbrush.
The Chain Braid!
From chunky rope braids to intricate fishtails, it seems everyone is reinventing the traditional, three-strand plait. And we’ve got the scoop on the next big trend: the chain braid. Perfect for the office or a night out, this woven style is super simple, but super chic! Mario Russo, of Boston’s Salon Mario Russo, shows us how to create this cool coif.
1. Beginning with day-old hair, curl hair using a 1-1/2 inch curling iron, to add fullness to the braid. For even more volume, lightly tease tresses at the crown after curling.
2. Part hair like you would for a half upsweep, pulling the top half up and back at the crown. Divide the top section in two, and tie the two pieces in a knot.
3. Continue knotting sections, adding hair into the knots like you would for a French braid. Keep knotting until you get to the end of the strand, and secure with an elastic.
4. Gently tug at the knots, loosening them to create a soft, textured look.
5. Spritz strands with a light working spray, such as Bumble & Bumble’s Does It All Styling Spray, to hold the braid in place, while maintaining an effortless finish.
Disheveled French Twist
Jenny Balding, NYC Cutler/Redken Stylist, shares her favorite style to take you from work to play. The best part? You can create this disheveled French twist in under 10 minutes!
Disheveled French Twist
- Start with day old hair as you’ll have some texture in your hair and it will be easier to manage.
- Use dry shampoo to really boost the texture of your roots (Redken Pillow Proof dry shampoo is excellent). Spray throughout your roots and even the mid-lengths to create body and texture. Shake through with your fingers.
- Use a light hairspray for a little hold. Mist over all and shake up with your hands to really create body and movement.
- Section out the crown and front area and pin to one side.
- Sweep the sides and back together and then twist upwards and pin. Make sure to use hairpins (U shaped pins) so they can really anchor the hair.
- Take your top section and roll under and pin at the crown for a little height in this area.
- Loosen the hairline a little with your fingers to suit your face shape, then add a hair accessory of your choice.
- To finish, add a little shine by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist all over – this is very light but gives just the right amount shine you need.
Pravana and Sophisticate’s Hairstyle Guide are showing you how to achieve another hot look — big, bold, beautiful curls perfect for the most special occasion. Here’s the step-by-step…
1. Mist dry hair lightly with Super Shape.
2. Begin at the top in a horizontal on-base pattern. Use a large 1 -1 ½” barrel marcel, curl hair starting at the roots. Work the marcel iron from roots to ends, then clip the curls into place to cool.
3. Continue through the sides and into the back in horizontal, on-base sections, clipping the curls as you go.
4. Spray the set with Super Shape and allow to cool completely.
5. Remove the clips from the curls.
6. Beginning at the fringe, lightly back-comb the base of the hair using a teasing brush. Always begin teasing hair at the base, working your way to the ends. Continue back-combing through the top, from front hair line to crown.
7. Mist Super Shape Hair Spray directly to a flat, bristle brush. Smooth out the back-combed portion and base of the set, working lightly through to the ends to create smooth, controlled volume.
Straight & Sleek
Pravana and Sophisticate’s Hairstyle Guide are showing you how to achieve an always hot look — a straight, sleek and sassy style. Here’s the step-by-step…
1. On damp hair, apply NEVO Full Volume focusing at the root and working through the lengths of the hair. The Cottonseed Protein in NEVO Full Volume weightlessly creates shape and airy movement, perfect for any down style. Apply NEVO Hydra Pearls through the mid-length and ends.
2. Working from the nape-up, blow-dry the hair smooth using a medium to large round brush.
3. Once hair is dry, apply NEVO Hydra Pearls to the mid-length and ends. Contin- ue smoothing the hair with a flat iron, working from the bottom up. *Tip* For added shape and volume, flat iron hair in the opposite direction of where it falls, starting 1⁄2” from the root.
4. Melt NEVO Lived-In Powder Potion in hands and smooth any flyaways left for glass-like hair.
In need of some gorgeous waves? Here’s a step-by-step on how you can create them at home, thanks to stylist Anna Cantu and CHI!
1. Section hair starting from the left eyebrow point diagonally towards the right ear point. Pin away.
2. Section on the opposite side from left eyebrow point towards the left ear point. Pin away.
3. Begin setting the back of the entire hair with CHI Infra Texture Dual Action Hairspray and the DURA CHI 1” professional curling iron.
4. Let curls cool for about ten minutes then release the pins and begin to tease at the root area.
5. Brush all the hair down and let the waves connect together. Tease at the roots if more volume is needed.
6. Begin to polish with CHI Pliable Polish and smooth back towards the occipital bone and pin. Finish the look with CHI Shine Infusion and CHI Infra Texture Dual Action Hairspray.
Hair by Anna Cantu; Photography by William Ntim-Aburam; Makeup & Wardrobe by Amin Kabani; all courtesy CHI.