It appears as if the female celebrity population doesn’t have a lock on lightening up for summer! Miles Teller, the normally dark-brunette actor you know and love from Whiplash, Divergent and a whole bunch of other flicks, has gone completely blonde, including his eyebrows. It’s most likely for a film role, but still—it’s nice to see the boys of summer experiments with the power of bleach!
Dutch Braid How-To
“This Dutch Braid upstyle is a light airy updo that doesn’t look like your typical braid,” shares Ruth Roche, Artistic Ambassador for Pureology Serious Colour Care, and the designer of this look. “It’s great for medium length hair and it’s really easy to do.” Here’s the step-by-step…
- Apply Pureology Colour Stylist Root Lift to the base of damp hair and then in an “S” pattern throughout the rest of the head, working methodically from bottom to top.
- Blow dry with a round brush to create a structure for the look.
- Section hair in two in the back and lace at the base down the part to create a foundation to pin the form to.
- To create the form, start with a long piece of synthetic hair and pull it apart and smush it back together again–pull apart, mix it up and bring together again repeatedly to create a sort of fluffiness and then tuck under to create the shape of the form.
- Secure form at the top back of the head by pinning into the lacing.
- Starting at the front of the head (while standing at the back), section hair into three sections and start braiding an under braid by wrapping sections under the center section, picking up more hair each time a section is crossed.
- Complete braid and secure with an elastic.
- Lightly pull braid apart to build the shape and lift up with fingers and pin slack to build more dimension.
- At the nape, tuck the elastic under and pin.
- Finish with Pureology Colour Stylist Strengthening Control Zero Dulling Hairspray.
AND!!! Here’s a video of the how-to with Ruth Roche!
Share A Haircut
Hair Cuttery, the largest family-owned and operated chain of hair salons in the country, will be donating back-to-school haircuts to children who need it most. From August 1-15, for every child up to age 18 who purchases a haircut at one of Hair Cuttery’s nearly 900 salons, one free haircut certificate will be donated to a disadvantaged child in the community. Certificates will be distributed with the help of more than 100 local government and non-profit organizations in communities across the country.
“A new haircut for a special occasion is something we all take for granted,” said Dennis Ratner, Founder and CEO of Hair Cuttery. “Our Share-A-Haircut program ensures that children in our communities aren’t deprived of that simple, but essential, service. If we can send those students back to school with added confidence and a smile on their faces, then we’ve done our job.”
Seduction By The Numbers
Ever wonder how to change up your usual look? Hairstylist Sherri Jessee shows how you can start with one great look, then transform it into two more..
Look One: In The Beginning
Starting at the bottom, underneath layers of hair and working toward the top, and working in small sections, mist hair lightly with a heat guard, then flat-iron lengths smooth and sleek (Jessee used a Sultra Seductress Flat Iron). Jessee’s pro stylist tip: Be sure to follow through with your comb as you flat-iron for perfectly smooth results.
Look Two: The Second Style
Tease the crown section and lightly brush hair toward the back; secure lengths in back with bobby pins. Jessee’s pro stylist tip: Cross two bobby pins in an X formation to lock them into place. Touch up where needed with your flat iron and gently bevel the ends.
Look Three: The Final Look
Release the bobby pins and create loose waves by wrapping large sections of hair around a 1.5-inch barrel curling iron (Jessee used Sultra Seductress’ Bombshell Curling Wand). Jessee’s pro stylist tip: When wrapping hair around the iron, alternate the direction for each new section. For an edy finish, leave the ends of each curl out for extra texture.
ROCK ‘N STROBE HAIR
Feeling a little rebellious? We know we are! How about spicing out your mane with a fabulous highlight look like this one from the pros at Matrix? More ideas? Check out our new issue of Sophisticate’s Hairstyle Guide on sale at newsstands everywhere. We feature hundreds of great style ideas, the latest product news, celeb interviews and much, much more! So hurry before we sell out!
To find a store near you check out the box to the right of this column “Where You Can Find” and you’re on your way. Thank you sooo much for your continued support!
We all love a great curl, and jcp salon has just the service to make sure your natural texture is totally spiralled to the max. A twist-set helps form consistent, frizz-free curls (even on fringe!) for a gorgeous finish. Add in a few pops of rosy-pink on the random ringlet and you’ve got the prettiest finish. Truly dazzling!