You’ve most likely seen Miss Universe 2015 Paulina Vega and her crowning glory, her gorgeous chestnut mane. CHI was the official haircare sponsor for the pageant, and helped style all 88 contestants, including Paulina. Tammy Mixon, Farouk Systems Global Board Artist and lead Hair Artist for Miss Universe, shares the step-by-step tips for how to re-create Paulina’s tress look (styled by CHI Hairstylist Julian Macias) when the crown was placed upon it.
- Begin by spritzing the hair with Miss Universe Style Illuminate’s Set the Stage Blow Dry Spray for intense heat protection from damage and breakage while eliminating frizz and resisting humidity. The lightweight formulation detangles, smoothes, and softens, while dramatically decreasing blow-dry time.
- Comb through to evenly distribute and blow-dry hair with your hands to remove the bulk of moisture, lifting hair at the base to provide ample volume.
- When hair is still slightly damp, section the hair into 4 parts (top, sides, back and nape).
- Starting at the nape area with a large round ceramic brush, finish blow-drying by again lifting the hair at the root area. Continue to dry the rest of the section by smoothing and rounding the ends under. Continue throughout the entire head.
- Next, take a medium round CHI Ceramic Brush and wrap larger sections throughout the head, twirling them around the brush. Give each section a blast of hot air followed by cool air to set in the curl.
- When releasing each section, continue to twist as you remove the brush. By unwrapping the twirl, this helps to create those soft sultry waves.
- For added curl definition and volume, a1 ¼” curling iron was used to bump the ends under and add several more defined curls. The base was sprayed with Restage Dry Shampoo for added lift and texture.
- To finish, spray with Rock Your Crown Firm Hair Spray for the perfect hold.