We’ve seen everyone from Kim Kardashian to Hayden Panettiere to Penelope Cruz rock a “wet hair” look—a slicked-back, wet-inspired style that looks sexy, sultry and like you just stepped out of the ocean, only looking a lot more glamourous. Kevin.Murphy Style.Master Ali Batista breaks down a step-by-step for getting this high-fashion hair at home. What are you waiting for?
1. Prep with an anti-frizz product: “Most of these wet-looking styles actually start on dry hair and require a smooth, yet textured finish. A favorite product of mine to achieve this is a smooth, anti-frizz treatment, which assists in frizz control while allowing your natural texture to shine through.”
2. Texture is key: “If you weren’t born with textured hair, you can create texture with the right product. My go-to texturizer is Kevin.Murphy Hair.Resort.Spray. It uses natural Mica particles to give your locks a lived-in beachy look without exposing your hair to those harmful salts.”
3. Create volume near your hairline only: “A big element to nailing the wet hair look is making sure your style has some volume near the front hairline and the crown area, with flatness at the back and sides. Volumizing mousse offers volume and hold for all hair types.”
4. Choose your preferred level of hold: “The hold factor of your style is what will help it transition from day into night. Using a medium-hold crème will add shine to the hair, so your wet look is chic enough for daytime but strong enough to carry you into the evening. For a bolder wet finish, a firm holding gel will give you a high shine finish without making the hair look plastered or creating a flaky finish.”
5. Finish with a high-shine spray: “Kevin.Murphy Session.Spray has hydrolyzed silk in the formulation, which adds a shiny sleek finish to your hairstyles. The shiny sleek finish combined with a strong hold factor is exactly what is needed.”